Italian consulates protect their fellow citizens in various circumstances. For example: violations of basic rights, arrest or detention, emergencies in crisis situations, locating family members, issue of travel documents in case of lost or stolen passport, repatriation of remains.
Consular services are provided in accordance with the principles of equality, impartiality, efficiency and transparency.
The exercise of certain rights and access to certain services are limited only to Italians who have enrolled in the Register of Italians Resident Abroad (AIRE), which is compulsory under Law no. 470 of 1988.
If you are an Italian citizen in Australia, or an Australian citizen interested in doing business in Italy, you may need the services provided by the Consular Chancellery of the Italian Embassy in Canberra or one of the five Italian Consulates in Australia.
Members of the public may only apply to the respective Consular Office. E.g. Melbourne resident cannot apply for services at the Adelaide Consulate.
• To determine which Italian Consulate has jurisdiction over your place of residence, click here.
• For info about consular services not available on our website, visit https://www.esteri.it/en/servizi-consolari-e-visti/
Canberra Consular Office info
- Welcomes residents of the ACT and surrounding NSW areas limited to Queanbeyan and Cooma.
- Opening hours 10am to 12pm Monday to Friday. On Wednesdays there is also a public reception from 1pm to 3pm.
- There is no need to make an appointment for any of the practices held at the Head Office.
- Payments can be made either by debit card or cash. This location is not enabled for smartphone payments.
- Contact +61 (0)2 6185 8111 or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org . For certified mail write to email@example.com